X, the social media platform formerly known as Twitter, is planning to introduce two new tiers of premium subscriptions soon, according to its owner Elon Musk. The new subscription plans will offer different features and prices for users who want to access more content and services on X. In this article, we will explain what the new subscription plans are, why they are being launched, and how they will affect users and advertisers.
What are the new subscription plans?
The new subscription plans are part of X’s strategy to diversify its revenue streams and increase its user engagement. Currently, X offers a single premium subscription plan that costs $8 per month and provides users with various benefits, such as:
• Ad-free experience: Users can browse and watch content on X without seeing any ads or sponsored posts.
• Undo tweet: Users can undo their tweets within 30 seconds of posting them in case they want to edit or delete them.
• Bookmark folders: Users can organize their saved tweets into different folders for easy access and management.
• Reader mode: Users can read long threads or articles on X in a simplified and clutter-free format.
• Customizable app icons and themes: Users can personalize their X app with different icons and themes.
Two new tiers of X Premium subscriptions launching soon.
One is lower cost with all features, but no reduction in ads, and the other is more expensive, but has no ads.
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) October 20, 2023
However, according to Musk’s tweet, X will soon launch two new tiers of premium subscriptions that will offer different features and prices. One tier will be lower-cost with all features, but no reduction in ads. The other tier will be more expensive, but will have no ads at all.
Musk did not provide more details on the features or prices of the new subscription plans, but a test case by X earlier this week suggested several restrictions for users who don’t want to pay for the service. For instance, users who are not subscribed to any premium plan will only be able to post 10 tweets per day, like 20 tweets per day, and repost 5 tweets per day. They will also not be able to use advanced search filters or analytics tools.
Why are the new subscription plans being launched?
The new subscription plans are being launched for several reasons, such as:
• To increase X’s revenue and profitability: X has been struggling to generate enough revenue and profit from its advertising business, which accounts for most of its income. In the second quarter of 2023, X reported a net loss of $65.6 million on revenue of $1.19 billion. By offering more subscription options, X hopes to attract more paying users and reduce its dependence on ads.
• To compete with other platforms and services: X faces fierce competition from other social media platforms and services that offer similar or better features and content. For example, Meta (formerly Facebook) offers an ad-free version of its app for $9.99 per month. TikTok offers a premium service called TikTok Plus that provides users with exclusive content, stickers, filters, and badges for $4.99 per month. Netflix offers a large and diverse catalog of movies and TV shows for $8.99 per month. By offering more subscription options, X hopes to differentiate itself from its rivals and retain its users.
• To improve user experience and satisfaction: X also wants to improve its user experience and satisfaction by offering more features and choices. By allowing users to choose the subscription plan that suits their needs and preferences, X hopes to increase their loyalty and engagement. By reducing or removing ads for some users, X also hopes to enhance their browsing and watching experience.
How will the new subscription plans affect users and advertisers?
The new subscription plans will have different impacts on users and advertisers, such as:
• For users: Users will have more options and flexibility to choose the subscription plan that matches their budget and expectations. Users who opt for the lower-cost plan will enjoy all the features of the current premium plan, but will still see ads on X. Users who opt for the more expensive plan will enjoy an ad-free experience on X, but will pay a higher price. Users who do not subscribe to any premium plan will face some limitations on their usage and functionality on X.
• For advertisers: Advertisers will have more opportunities and challenges to reach and engage their target audience on X. Advertisers who want to reach users who subscribe to the lower-cost plan or do not subscribe to any premium plan will have more inventory and impressions available on X. However, they may also face more competition and higher costs from other advertisers. Advertisers who want to reach users who subscribe to the more expensive plan will have no direct access to them on X. However, they may still be able to reach them indirectly through other channels or platforms.
X is a social media platform that allows users to watch and download movies and TV shows in various languages for free. It is planning to launch two new tiers of premium subscriptions soon, according to its owner Elon Musk. The new subscription plans will offer different features and prices for users who want to access more content and services on X. The new subscription plans are being launched to increase X’s revenue and profitability, to compete with other platforms and services, and to improve user experience and satisfaction. The new subscription plans will have different impacts on users and advertisers, depending on their choices and preferences.